Thursday, July 1, 2010

First Day of Preschool


It was a huge day for me and Avery! Today was her first day of preschool at Valley View. I had been preparing her for her first day of school all week by letting her know that she is now officially a "big girl" and that she's going to go there to play with other kids and have lots of fun. I referred to it as being like a GIANT playdate, but mommy won't be there. She'll go on Tuesdays and Thursdays for a few hours a day, which is just perfect.

Fortunately, we arrived early to the school this morning so I had time to familiarize myself with the teacher. When Avery walked into the classroom, she was very hesitant at first. Her teacher, Miss Laura was very friendly and prompted her to come join the other kids at the table where they were playing with stickers. She was very cautious and kept pulling me over saying, "Mommy sit too." After several attempts of myself trying to leave the classroom, she started to cry, which I knew would happen. My poor baby! I felt really bad but knew I had to give her a big hug and kiss and say my goodbye. Her teacher reassured me that she would be fine. Callum on the other hand, made himself right at home and was busy exploring the classroom toys. He was upset on the way out because he didn't want to leave.

After I dropped her off, I decided to wait about an hour or so before I gave the school a call to see how everything was going. I didn't want to be one of those crazy, over protective moms. Sure enough, she was fine and was playing with her classmates. By this time, she had forgotten all about mommy. Phew.....What a relief!

When I went to pick her up, she walked out with a smile on her face and I gave her a big hug and kiss. She had a great first day at preschool and told me all the things she did, which was very exciting. She's been talking about it ever since and is very excited to be going back next week!


Avery excited to be starting school this morning

 Avery not fond of having her picture taken first thing we got out of the car


Avery smiling after her first day


 She couldn't have been happier to cuddle with her piggie and blankie when she got home

No comments:

Post a Comment