Friday, April 15, 2011

A Visit from the Fire Department




Being a mom of two little toddlers, we often have days that are filled with excitement, craziness, and adventure, to say the least. Well, today was one of those days, all wrapped up together!

We were just getting back to the house from playing down at the park and I was standing on the front porch unloading the stroller and getting the kids ready to go inside. I had turned my head for a second, not knowing what was about to happen, and for whatever reason, Avery decided it would be a good idea to pull the fire alarm switch located next to the door. The next thing I heard was a "very" loud fire alarm going off throughout the house. Frantically, I fiddled with the alarm switch trying to shut it off, but had no luck. At this point, not knowing what to do, I called Phil and he told me to call the fire department and have them come shut it off. So I called the fire dept and I got their answering maching. Ummm....hello!!! Shouldn't there be atleast one person there to answer the phone in case of an emergency??? (it had later hit me that they were probably already on their way) Meanwhile, Phil got home (luckily he was just down the street at Costco) and all I could see were all my neighbors standing outside wondering what the heck was going on. Apparently the alarm that Avery had set off was going off in every unit in the complex. Uggghhhhh... It wasn't more than a minute later when we heard the fire truck coming down our street. Philip ran up and explained what happened. Luckily they didn't seem to mind and were pretty cool about the whole thing. I guess it's not uncommon for a 3 year olds curiosity to cause all this commotion....go figure! Philip and I were slightly embarassed about the whole thing at first, but now that it is over, find it a little bit funny (just a little) that Avery could cause such a commotion in the neighborhood. Welcome to living with a toddler!

No comments:

Post a Comment